lunes, 21 de noviembre de 2016

Tales of the Peculiar




Autumn arrived in the beginning of October, and since then it´s been awfully cold.


In my world that means only one thing: it is time to fill my already stuffed tea cupboard, take the soft blankets out of the wardrobe and curl up with a good book. I love books all year long, but somehow the cold months are my favourites for endless reading sessions. 

Consequently, this might be the period when I buy the most of my paper editions (the rest of the year I tend to download on my ebook, but when Winter comes I prefer the company of a good old paper specimen), as I take advantage from all the seasonal releases. One of the titles on my last book haul was Tales of the Peculiar by Ranssom Riggs.

 

 

First, I was impressed by the beauty of the hard cover design, all decorated with golden letters, as well as the detailed illustrations, which remind me of old engraving. Also, the quality of the paper is pretty good for such an inexpensive edition. The publishing house made a real attempt to recreate the old fashioned fairy tales look with this anthology.

 

 

Regarding to the content itself, in the fictional universe of the author, these are supposed to be the original tales mentioned in Miss Peregrine saga. They are a fun, enjoyable, easy reading bunch of fables, containing the classic final moral.

 

I don´t think they are the best of Riggs writing. However, they are a delightful light reading for a quiet evening at home. Very appealing if you are into fairy tales with an odd twist, like Perrault versions. Probably, you will specially enjoy The Woman who Befriended Ghosts as well as The Splendid Cannibals. They are both wonderful dark comedy tales for adults I would recommend to anyone.

To learn more, check the author website here.   

 

8 comentarios:

  1. Respuestas
    1. It is a truly gorgeous book, Laura. I think it would look great on your collection.

      Eliminar
  2. The book look beautiful. I have this thing a purchasing beautiful crafted books.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I see your point Sarah. There´s nothing as lovely as a beautiful paper edition, isn´t it?

      Eliminar
  3. I'm torn - if it's not the best writing, I probably shouldn't buy it. Because if it's pretty, then I end up with one more book I have to find a spot for on the already stuffed full bookshelves! lol

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hahaha. I see your point, Insomniac! It is always difficult to find room for all the new books, so at the end of the day you need to choose which ones you "let in". I think that´s the reason I will definitely use a room as a library once we buy our first house. I can live without the popular walk-in wardrobe, but without a proper library? No way... I bet you do have the most wonderful book sanctuary yourself.

      Eliminar
  4. Loved this post! The collection of tales looks and seems lovely, and I had not thought about how the time of the year can affect the reading experience! :) Now that you mentioned it, I too prefer books made of paper during the cold months.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Glad you agree! I think most people tends to focus on indoors activities during Winter, so for the ones who do enjoy reading, cold months are a high activity season. Personally, during Summer I spend a lot more time outdoors, and I frequently forget about carrying a book with me.

      Eliminar