martes, 8 de diciembre de 2015

Blogmas Day 8: Bucharest Christmas market.





Welcome back to Blogmas Day 8.

 Last Saturday The Gentle One and I had a little walk to the city holiday themed market. This is something we truly enjoy, as we don´t have those in Spain (I think it is a central European tradition rather than a Mediterranean one). We took the chance to wake up early, have a quick breakfast and head to the beautiful University Square, where the market is placed. We spent the morning looking around, shopping for wood tree decorations, drinking mulled wine and eating Kalács (a typical Hungarian seasonal sweet which is my new favourite without discussion! I am a bit afraid I am quickly turning addicted to it, and a bit worried I won´t be able to find it once the holiday is over).






From 2013 we have noticed an increasing quality in the stalls, which are not only more numerous than two years ago, but also exhibit better products. Nowadays you can find traditional ornaments and food, together with beer, and modern clothes. 





The best part of it is that, as long as I am a foreigner, everything is quite new and I am always looking forward to taste new food and drinks. I am quite sure we will be going back to the market very soon. If only we could see some snow before that, it would be the perfect heavenly Christmas vision...





I am really curious about this: have you got any Christmas market in your city/town?
How does it look? What´s your favourite part about seasonal markets?


 

8 comentarios:

  1. Yes, there is a Christmas market both in city where I live and in my home city :) I'd say they came from Germany and Austria - in these two countries Weihnachtsmärkte are a really old tradition and they are held super huge and festive. All of the Eastern European countries that once were a part of one of these two still organise Christmas markets. My home city, although it never was within German borders, adopted this tradition 3 or so years ago :) It looks much poorer than the market I have in Wroclaw, but this city has a long tradition of organising seasonal markets every few months. It's super kitschy and colourful and I love it, but - just like you - I miss snow to complete the perfect winter atmosphere.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I agree Christmas markets are very typical in German tradition countries, you´re totally right. As a matter of fact, there used to be a Saxon minory here in Romania, so I suppose markets developed as a consequence of the cultural contact between both traditions.
      Very interesting, indeed!

      Eliminar
  2. Wow! You took really beautiful and cozy pictures! I love seeing these pretty Christmas decorations! So beautiful! Talking about Christmas markets we have one in our town. However, yours looks much more attractive! :D

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. It is all about fairylights and decorations, isn´t it?
      I know what you mean, I always get excited about cozy and shiny decor as well. ❤

      Eliminar
  3. Hi! I love your blog, and I like you blogging daily. Christmas is my favourite holiday, but sadly in this year I don't feel to do the decoration, make some DIY, or make some cookies:( I'm from Budapest and we have the same style of christmas market as you have in Romania. I like it, but the have the same things every year, so a bit boring. We have some color light painting, I like them. I wish one day I can visit the Wien fair. By the way I think you meant "kürtőskalács" instead of "kalács", its two different things.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi there, M and thank you for reading!
      As you said, the sweet is called "kürtöskalács", instead of just kalács. Thank you so much for making me notice my mistake! :) I am always fond of trying and tasting new things, so this is definitely my new Christmas favourite (here they put nuts, cinamon and sugar on it, and is just yummy!).

      Oh, and I see you are from Budapest! I visited briefly last Summer, but I am so in love with the place I want to go back soon. Such a beautiful city! ♥

      Eliminar
  4. How wonderful! I would love to attend such an event!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. It is quite nice to get the chance to do something interesting outdoors at this time of the year. Right now most activities are interior because of the weather and it can be a little depressing.

      Eliminar