lunes, 5 de octubre de 2015

The Paris diaries: famous book stores, gothic cathedrals and how not to panick on board.






A bunch of days before our flight departed to France, The Gentle One and I had a funny idea: in order to keep as many of our honeymoon trip memories alive, wouldn´t be nice to write them down as they happened? I mean, not LITERALLY as they happened (because that would mean stopping every five minutes in the middle of some busy Paris street to write about remarkable things, which would be weird even for us...) but at the end of the day, while memories did still fresh enough.
And so we did! For five days we both did our best to put our grain of sand on our travelling diary.
Sometimes we won, sometimes we failed. But the important thing is we collected many beautiful and hilarious moments I can now share with you. Of course there are some very personal in that journal I can´t write in here, you see, but even so I hope you enjoy the rest of it. (Please, notice that the original journal was writen in Spanish, so I will try my best to translate the precise expressions. Excuses in advance for any idiomatic innacurancy).


So here you go:

 The Paris Diaries, day 1.





After a long, long time taking flights at unearthly hours, we reached the airport at ten in the morning! The Gentle One did a little victory dance and all. Like a real dance, I mean. I pretended I didn´t know him until he finished, which is reasonably easy if you always carry a book with you to stick your nose in. Anyways, our flight didn´t depart until twelve o´clock, so we had time enough to have proper breakfast at the airport while waiting. Once the plane arrived, we both started feeling some anxiety (we´re nervous flyers) but it all faded away as soon as we got a glimpse of the strange cabin crew...
There are some words about it The Gentle One wrote himself on the plane.



(Please, excuse our exhausted faces, this is the results of an entire month of rest deprivation...)


" Why is Jean Reno explainig the safety procedure to us? I was panicking as usual when I looked at the screw guy just to discover he is Jean Reno! I turned to wife to make sure I am not suffering from a psychotic attack when I saw she was smiling at me and nodding at the guy. "Yes", she said, "he looks a lot like him". And then she took her travel pillow, closed her eyes (always makes that to stop panicking during flights) and let me alone with my amazement. And Jean Reno".  

Unfortunately, we didn´t take any picture of him. Mainly because we´re pretty sure it´s not allowed. But we arrived to Paris at two o´clock, local time, and after getting the train to reach our hotel, we left our luggage and run to Île de la Cité.




  Notre-Dame was awesome, just as stunning as we anticipated.
We spent an hour there, looking at every single corner of the place. Afterwards, we had a short walk to Sorbonne´s original building (whose hall looks exactly the same as the one at the University of Bucharest´s faculty of letters!) we payed a short visit to Shakespeare & Company. That was quite dissapointing. I knew of course it wasn´t the original shop, but I hope it kept something of its literary atmosphere. Unfortunately, the place is now oriented to "alt/indie people" but paradoxically their book selection is mainly based on poorly quality best-sellers... Kind of a nonsense, I think. I suspect they make a living from tourists, rather than from bookish people, as it was all busy with postcards and other memorabilia. The Gentle One just defined it as "a cross-over between a magazines shop and a Starbucks" and I am afraid he´s right.


After the library fail, I thought we needed to eat something to cheer up a bit, so we moved to the Latin Quarter where we had some yummy traditional food. I think I could live of crêpes and cheese.
FOREVER. Well, or mostly until I start looking like the fatty pals at Wall-e and I am not able to move anymore. And even so...

 



14 comentarios:

  1. argh, I'm going to Paris tomorrow for medical examinations and I'm afraid I will neither have enough time nor enough mobility to visit the capital city of my own country. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. So sorry to hear about that, Frilly Frenchie. It used to happen the same to me when I loved in Spain, as I rarely enjoyed the opportunity to visit Madrid and I used to feel quite frustrated about that.

      Maybe next time you will be able to plan a bit ahead? :)

      Eliminar
  2. I love your sleep-deprived picture, you look so pretty and south-eastern European!
    Congratulations!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you so much, Misatropia. I do think I we both look terribly exhausted in that one, but it is very nice from you to say something good about the picture ♥ ♥ ♥

      In relation to my looks, it is funny people tend to think I am from East Europe (you´re not the first person to tell so), when I am a hundred per cent Spanish. I suppose it has something to do with the family bloodyline: one of my great-grandmothers was criolle, and there was definitely some jewish, Iberian-Celtic and arab blood running through my antecesors, many centuries ago (which is quite common on the Iberian Península). I love it when Genetics plays this way and makes you totally different from your own siblings. You can check it yourself, as this is my lil´sister:

      https://petitsuisseinformativo.wordpress.com/author/petitsuisseinformativo/

      Funny, isn´t it?

      Eliminar
    2. In the first picture I couldn't imagine you two were even related, but I see it in the second photo ... and you're both so beautiful. Good genes definitely run in your family! Whoa, talk about having completely different styles, eh? ;)

      Eliminar
    3. Haha... We look definitely different! We both like to make aesthetic experiments and to follow our own path, but I suppose there are some familiar features we both share (like the jawline as well as the sharp/high cheeck bones all my relatives show).

      Thank you for your nice words, by the way! I feel very flattered :)

      Eliminar
    4. I have always been mistaken for something else than Swedish too, most lately Serbian, since we had a lot of immigration from there during the war. I have the sleep-deprived dark but pale look as well and I always appreciate it in other people :)

      Eliminar
    5. I suppose that´s quite normal, considering the genetic micture in most European countries. I don´t really care about people mistaking me for a foreigner, actually. It makes me feel misterious, hahah :P

      Eliminar
  3. Oh, to spend your honeymoon in Paris ... how perfect! It's nice to finally see a photo of the Gentle One and put a face to the name. The picture of you two in front of the cathedral is wonderful, sleep deprived or not. Shame about that bookstore though.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Haha. It is definitely not easy to take a picture from The Gentle One (he´s such a big introvert!) but lately my efforts to make more natural and spontaneous photos has been working a bit :)

      Eliminar
  4. Such a woderful trip! Paris is awesome, thank you for posting lovely pictures :) And of course congratulations to both of you, best wishes and lots of love forever!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you very much for your good wishes, Vivian! The trip was really awesome, the only thorn on the rose is we couldn´t stay for an extra couple of days. I am so looking forward to go back!

      Eliminar
  5. I'm so jealous, I want to visit Paris as well! Mostly for the Disneyland :D

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hahahaha. That´s so great, Lesthis. I must admit Disneyland sounds good to me too (not as good as The Potter Studios in London, but kind of). Nonetheless, we had such a short bunch of days to visit, we had to decline this time. Maybe in our next trip!

      Eliminar